The most south-westerly of Savannah’s squares is Chatham, on the intersection of Barnard and Wayne. A residential square devoid of shops and monuments, Chatham was one of the last to be founded, in 1847.
Both the square and Savannah’s Chatham county were named after a Brit who never once set foot in the city. William Pitt, 1st Earl of Chatham also counts Pittsburgh among the American places named in his honor. The Whig statesman led Britain during the Seven Years War, and was one of the few British politicians to sound alarm bells about the impending US Revolution… he sought to appease the colonists before things got out of hand, but was roundly ignored by an obtuse parliament.
Older Savannahians may refer to Chatham Square as Barnard Square, because of the school on its northwestern side. Still the square’s most conspicuous building, the school is now in the possession of SCAD, and hosts its Fibers Department. The rest of the buildings around Chatham are apartments, resulting in one of the quieter residential squares in the city. Gordon Row, on the southeastern side, stands out — fifteen four-story brick townhouses which were built before the Civil War as apartments.
If you’re looking for an area to live, or just to spend a peaceful Sunday afternoon, Chatham Square is a good choice. Enjoy our pictures of this tranquil corner of Savannah.
January 11, 2011 at 6:24 pm Comments (7)